TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF MEMBERSHIP
All members agree to:
- Abide by the principles of the U3A movement.
- Act in the best interests of the U3A.
- Not behave in such a way as to bring the U3A into disrepute.
- Abide by the terms and conditions of the constitution of the U3A, and of the branch which they are joining.
- Treat fellow members with respect and courtesy.
- Comply with and support the decisions of the elected committee.
- Advise the Membership Secretary of any changes to their personal details.
THE PRINCIPLES OF THE U3A MOVEMENT
1. The Third Age Principle. Membership of the U3A is open to all in their third age, defined, not by a particular age, but by a period in life by which full-time employment has ceased. Members promote the values of lifelong learning, and the positive attributes of belonging to U3A. Members should do all they can to ensure that people wanting to join a U3A can do so.
2. The Self-help Learning Principle. Members form interest groups covering as wide a range of topics and activities as they desire; by the members, for the members. No qualifications are sought or offered. Learning is for its own sake, with enjoyment being the prime motive, not qualifications or awards. There is no distinction between the learners and the teachers; they are all U3A members.
3. The Mutual Aid Principle. Each U3A is a mutual aid organisation, operationally independent, but a member of the Third Age Trust, which requires adherence to the guiding principles of the U3A movement. Members receive no payments for services rendered to any U3A. Each U3A is self funded, with membership subscriptions and costs kept as low as possible.